December 7, 2007
Salem (PTI): Five persons were hospitalised and a number of others fell sick, complaining of nausea and eye irritation after chlorine gas leaked from a caustic soda plant at Rettaipuliyamaruthur near Mettur dam on Friday, police said.
Hospital authorities in Mettur near here confirmed that five persons were admitted to the district hospital. People from surrounding villages — Chipampatti, Punjadiyur and Ramanagar– were also affected.
District Environmental engineer Sekar, Salem Divisional Fire Officer David Vincent and Mettur’s deputy superintendent of police Ashok Kumar, along with other revenue officials rushed to the spot.
However, there was no official confirmation that the gas leak emanated from the plant. The soda plant belongs to the Chemplast Sanmar Group of companies.
Two persons had lodged a police complaint against the company for releasing toxic gases, they said.
This is the second gas leak over past few days in the state. Acid smelling gas reportedly leaked from the public sector Chennai Petro Chemicals Limited factory at Manali in suburban Chennai on December 5.