Cuddalore, 21 July 2006: Ammonia gas leak from HEF industries in SIPCOT complex damaged about quarter acre of casurina field yesterday. The gas leaked at about in the midnight of 20 – 21 July, after a sudden power failure in the unit. The land affected by the leak belongs to P. Subramani of Sangolikuppam village. According to the SACEM members Subramani discovered the damage only in the morning of 21 July when he visited the field and discovered that effects on the crops. The leaves of the casurina plant were burnt after the exposure to ammonia gas.
A complaint about the incident has been filed with the Factories Inspectorate, TNPCB and the District Collectorate.
Similar incidents of environmental damage due to power failures have been previously reported from SIPCOT by SACEM members. Effluent overflow from CUSECS due to power failure is a frequent happenings in the area. Incidents like these once again highlight the poor environmental infrastructure of SIPCOT complex to deal with environmental damages.
Read related stories:
April, 2005: Power failure at CUSECS 3; second power failure in CUSECS since February 2005